Therapy for Adults
Neurodivergent Affirming Occupational Therapy for Adults
Reasons for Occupational Therapy for Adults Vary • AZ+A Supports Adults of All Ages.
Doctors often recommend occupational therapy for adults with ADHD, late diagnosis of autism, sensory processing disorders, and more. AZ+A tailors a treatment plan to meet your individual needs.
Occupational therapy focuses on improving daily living skills, enhancing independence and promoting overall well-being.
AZ+A recognizes that neurological differences in adults, such as autism, ADHD, or other neurodivergencies, are natural variations of the human brain. Neurodivergence is not inherently negative or pathological.
AZ+A practices a neurodivergent affirming approach by:
- Creating a safe and supportive environment where individuals explore their identities, strengths, and challenges.
- Develop therapeutic treatment plans that fit your life and schedule.
- Daytime appointments are available!
Areas We Offer Support for Allistic and Neurodivergent Adults Include:
• Sensory Integration: Neurodivergent adults experience differences in processing sensory information from their environment. AZ+A therapists gain a deeper understanding of each individual’s sensory profile to develop strategies that help individuals function to their fullest potential in various contexts and environments.
• Mental Health: Mental health and sensory integration are intertwined, with both internal and external sensations impacting our capacities to self-regulate, connect with others, and engage in meaningful and necessary activities. Together, we’ll explore the relationship between anxiety, depression and disruptions in one’s life (through a trauma-informed lens that centers on lived experience).
• Executive Function: Many neurodivergent and allistic adults struggle with executive functioning skills such as planning, organizing, prioritizing, time management and decision-making. During our sessions, we build strategies and techniques to improve these skills and modify the environment to support these processing areas, making navigating daily tasks and responsibilities easier.
• Employment Support: We can help with job-related skills, such as resume building, interview preparation and workplace accommodations. We also help identify strengths and interests to find suitable employment opportunities for AZ+A adult therapy clients.
• Self-Care and Other Independent Living Skills: We can help individuals develop and improve their self-care skills and tasks of daily living. Additionally, our therapists provide guidance and insight on budgeting, shopping and transportation.
• Enhance the understanding of the sensory profile and nervous system functioning: We better understand your nervous system and sensory processing capacities by working together. We focus on how your sensory profile and nervous system influence your engagement with the world around you in work/school and home environments and to form connections and relationships.
AZ+A welcomes families and individuals of all race, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
Adult Occupational Therapy at AZ+A can help with the following diagnoses and challenges:
- Behavioral Health
- Challenges with Daily Living
- Depression or Mood Disorders
- Sensory Processing Differences
- Social Pressures
- Trauma, including intergenerational trauma, adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), and the COVID-19 pandemic
Schedule a FREE consultation and find out how we can help your family.